Home » News » Sequence changes Rightmove listing after complaint
Regulation & Law

Sequence changes Rightmove listing after complaint

Estate agency chain must update its property listings 'more promptly' when properties are no longer available to buy, the ASA says.

Nigel Lewis

sequence

Sales and lettings chain Sequence UK has given an undertaking to the Advertising Standards Authority to update its listings on Rightmove more promptly after properties are taken off the market.

A member of the public recently complained to the advertising watchdog about the agency after enquiring about one of its properties on the portal, only to discover that it had already been sold.

“We received a complaint about a property listing on Rightmove,” an ASA spokesman said.

“A complainant believed the ad was misleading because they were told the property was no longer on the market.

“The advertiser removed the listing and we told them in future to ensure they updated listings as soon as they knew a property was off the market.”

resolved informally

Following the exchange between the ASA and Sequence, the matter has been resolved informally, rather than been dealt with by the ASA’s main adjudication panel.

Sequence has only once before been investigated by the ASA when in June 2018 its Barnard Marcus Auctions business was asked to amend its online catalogue after a member of the public complained about a listin. It hadn’t mentioned that a plot of land up for auction could only be accessed via third party land and only by using a tractor.

Sequence has 320 branches around the UK and operates 14 different brands including its best known, Barnard Marcus and william h brown.

July 17, 2019

What's your opinion?

Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.