John D Wood & Co has joined the select club of major agents who can claim an uninterrupted trading history going back 150 years, along with rival Winkworth.
The London and South of England based firm was established by John Daniel Wood, who opened the doors to its first office at No. 6 Mount Street, Mayfair in 1872.
Since then the company’s history has taken several twists and turns, including being bought by Countrywide in 1997. Like the other Countrywide estate agencies, it is now part of the Connells family.
Over the decades operations have expanded to today’s 28 offices as well as having an international department with 3,000 affiliated partners.
In 1930, its headquarters moved to Berkeley Square, where an office remained until the late 1980s.
Commercial and development work became a significant part of the company’s business in the 1950s and 1960s.
An important step in the central London residential market was taken when its Chelsea Green sales office was opened in 1966 – where the firm’s longest-serving employee of 48 years, Andy Buchanan, still works.
In 1982, the commercial side of the company separated, and the residential and agricultural arm ‘John D Wood & Co.’ was floated on the London Stock Exchange five years later.
In 2015, the International Department was established to work with overseas partners, and the business expanded further in 2016 by merging with Faron Sutaria and Fitz-Gibbon, whilst also acquiring APW, CHK Mountford and Vanet Property Asset Management to their family of brands.
Polly Ogden Duffy (main pic), its MD, says: “Our values, high standards and first-class levels of service remain at the forefront of our approach. We are trusted, respected and proud to consider our clients as clients for life, and we will continue to do the business proud for the next 150 years.”